The Coast is committed to Halifax, setting the public agenda with editorial coverage not found in other news outlets. From its pre-internet founding in 1993, picking up The Coast newspaper has been part of Halifax’s weekly routine. Even today, when The Coast’s website is a daily destination for people across Nova Scotia and the country, the newspaper remains popular in the city—its curated story selection and quality design making for a premium publication that offers an “information oasis” from the online world. And while social media is widely used as a tool for spreading propaganda and rumour, studies show that print media remains the most trusted source of news.
The Coast provides a weekly snapshot of the city we work, live and play in. Our content is independent and dynamic, offering a unique mix of stories from our team of passionate journalists. Coast cover stories offer longform reading that’s rare in Nova Scotia, while our news, arts and food sections help readers keep their finger on the pulse of Halifax. Pick us up every week for:
- City Hall We’ve got the lowdown on how HRM works with reporters at every council meeting.
- ShopTalk The popular local business news column featuring independent shops and restaurant openings and closings.
- Arts Unlike most media outlets, The Coast believes that covering arts as seriously as news is important to get a complete picture of the city. We publish cultural stories and hundreds of event listings every week, both as guides to enhance our readers’ social lives, and to support the vital artistic nature of Halifax that other papers overlook.
- Food + Drink Reviews and fun looks at restaurant and bar trends
- Entertainment Listings With hundreds of ideas for things to do every week, we are the city’s best source of entertainment planning advice
The Coast’s annual guides are deep dive content packages around a theme. Annually these guides appear on our marketing calendar and have become a must read for Haligonians and advertising plans. Plan your marketing message content and specials around these issues:
- Well Being Guide
- Beer & Cider Guide
- The Reef: Cannabis Guide 3x a year
- Hot Summer Guide + Patio Guide 5,000 extra copies
- Back To School Guide 2,000 extra copies for frosh & graduate school packs
- Wine Guide
- Best Of Halifax Readers’ Choice Awards
The Coast’s small editorial team punches way above it weight in terms of producing quality journalism—and you don’t have to take our word for it. We’ve been honoured with journalism awards on local, national and international stages. Our trophy case features:
The Association of Alternative Newsmedia (AAN)
The Coast has been a serving member of AAN since 2003. The Association of Alternative Newsmedia (AAN) is a nonprofit organization, which represents 101 alternative newsmedia organizations throughout North America. AAN member publications reach more than 38 million active, educated and influential adults in print, on the web and on mobile devices.logo here
The Coast can be found on wire racks on every university and college campus, in high-traffic retail locations, entertainment establishments and newspaper boxes around the city. Controlled circulation guarantees readers are making an investment in The Coast. The paper is available every Thursday, 51 times a year at 600 locations in newspaper boxes, racks and counters.
Geographical breakdown by neighbourhood
- Downtown 4,150
- South End 3,650
- North End 2,775
- Quinpool/West End 5,925
- Dartmouth 4,400
- Bedford/Sackville 2,100
copies = 23,000
Target a flyer, festival insert or other marketing materials in The Coast, we offer a competitive insert rate and reliable delivery in the Halifax core. When inserting in The Coast you are reaching readers who choose to pick up the paper—free door to door delivery does not mean a tenant wants to receive or spend time with the publication or flyer. Contact us to discuss how we can get your service or product in front of our urban readers.
"I've been with The Coast for over 15 years because it's Halifax's go to weekly paper, has an engaged local readership and is a great source of clients for me."